Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday Is Lock Out Day

Two weeks ago. . .

Rachel borrows my key to move her stuff into my old apartment, where it will wait to be transferred to our new place after our honeymoon. She leaves the key on the table. After work I pick up my brother from my place and we go to my male stripping Gatorade chugging, throwing up bonding before marriage event. Afterward my brother and I go back to my place. Key is on the table! We are on the other side of a locked door. Long story short it sucked and it was super annoying to track down a key from my roommate. It was a long sucky night.

One week ago. . .

Flash forward to one week ago, also a Thursday. First day back from our honeymoon! Finally we could move in to our new place! The door was locked and we didn't have a key. Where oh where could it be? Not under rocks. Not under mats. Not here nor there, nor any freaking where. . . I remember the guy who we are subletting from saying something about leaving a key somewhere. But where? And whence? Then I thought maybe the chiropractor's office. They were closed. But there was a guy working and he called the management lady and we had a terribly communicated conversation and she decided to rush down to our aid. It turned out the previous tenant had left it with our upstairs neighbor who saw us wandering around like dummies. Sorry management lady, don't need you. Go home.

Last night. . .

Last night. Oh what a night. I dropped Rachel off at work, did some things and some stuff. Mind you every day I see Rachel's keys lying here or there and say "why don't you keep these with you?" When it was time to pick her up I was a few minutes behind because I had an important blog post to post. She texted me "Where are you?" I texted, "On my way." Then I clarified by sending, "On my way to my pants." Anyway I hurried to get ready and took two steps out the door before I checked my pocket for my usual accessories. Wallet? Check. Phone? Check. Keys? F. Rachel's keys of course were on the table. That's where they go. Long story short we called a friend Arnie who saved our lives/souls from destruction.

6 comments:

  1. My keys go on the table. Your keys go in your pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I side with Rachel. You were right about that, Jonathan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why don't you have a "pre-walk out the door pattern"? I make sure keys are in hand, visible to my eyes before walking out the door.
    The car door, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually do. Guess its not 100% effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My argument is that both of you should have had your keys. That way if one of you is mugged and your pants are stolen, the other person will let you in. It's a key point of my not-getting-locked-out philosophy.

    ReplyDelete