Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Chronic Blogging (This Time about a Book)

I know I already blogged like 16 times today but I just finished reading this book and I wanted to write about it! It is a short children's book and it took me all week. I am what they call in the doctoring biz, slow. Can you guess from the title what series I started?

I know I watch too many movies and don't read enough books when the entire time I read this the Magician's Nephew, I was constantly questioning whether it would make a good film. BTW I decided it would. It would need a little change but that's always the case when turning literature into screenplay. For example it could be turned into a frame tale as it is told by the professor to Lucy and the other Pevensies. Also If I made this a movie I would have Digory and Polly talking to or meeting the cabby in the very beginning. Otherwise it's weird that he comes out of nowhere late in the book to be so important of a figure. Only thing missing is a big battle scene like the ones in Prince Caspian and the Lion, the Witch, etc. But it would. Because as a flashback Jadis tells the kids about the big battle on Charm. That would be fun to recreate on the big screen, no?

I don't know why but the one thing that bothered me about this book was when one of the animals took Aslan's name in vain. I was like blasphemer! Oh wait, he is a just a magic lion right? Or he is supposed to be the real Jesus though in our world? I know it's an allegory and all for the creation story (I am not the dumbest person alive). I mean, I know he is fictional, but in that universe, he is Aslan and he is Jesus, one in the same ya? You don't need to agree. I am just typing out loud. I blog waaay too much. It's a chronic condition. Sorry the pun title doesn't really explain that this is mostly about making a movie out of the Magician's Nephew; puns are my best attempt at cleverness.

1 comment:

  1. I think Aslan really is Jesus in the world of DIggory, Polly, and the Pevensies. In another book, Aslan tells Lucy she has come to know him by another name in her own world.

    And who thinks about making a movie when they're reading a book? OK, probably everyone but me. :)

    ReplyDelete