Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Easy to Convince: Hard to Unconvince

I wanted to get Rachel a bike for her birthday. I outlined the reasons. Bikes are fun. They make for good transportation. Al Gore approves of them. Rachel doesn't have a car while I am at work. Rachel hates driving. We can ride together for a little recreational exercise. I did everything short of sing Bicycle Race by Queen. She became convinced it was quite necessary.

As I persuaded her with my fancy college learning she had postulated with great intelligence that she didn't need one. We needed other things more. We are poor. I already got her too much stuff already for her birthday. We could afford a better one when we were both out of school and working. We didn't want to lug a bunch of cycles across country when we moved wherever it Is we might move to (wherever it is they better carry Chocodiles). She could only ride it to school for the first month or so before it got cold. She hadn't ridden one in 8 years, which she claims is half her life ago (I married an underage girl it turns out who should only just barely be allowed to start going on group dates this week let alone going steady with her husband). She tried riding in the store and somehow forgot how to turn (apparently riding a bike is not at all like the old axiom promises).

Anywhoo after we were both swayed by the arguments of each other, I was vehemently against wasting our money on some death contraption. She felt it was a necessity for our eternal enjoyment. I implored her to consider the needs of our new home. We had a vacuum to purchase. Water filters. Jars of upscale brand alfredo sauce. [Boh]Man cannot live by bicycles alone! She counter argued the benefits of the purchase. It would be fun! She could go to the grocery store. She could carry a little puppy in a basket (actually that was a recycled argument from when I was pro-bike). The debate continued in like manner as we returned to the original scene of the initial eruption of the loving debate debacle. It was all a moot point because the bike we wanted to get her (or didn't want, whatever the case may be) was all sold out. Good thing too or our marriage could be in jeopardy!

On a side note, you can convince me and I can be convinced and I can be unconvinced but you can't unconvince me? That seems like a huge oversight to me. Webster, you better check yourself.

7 comments:

  1. I'm still lobbying for a birthday bike. I'll have to side with Rachel on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am re-unconvinced (re-convinced?). My arguments (my initial arguments) look better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's just temps, get a super cheap one that you can sell or give away when you leave. Provo is pretty bike friendly, ask Karl and Allie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about those awesome old-fashioned looking ones at Costco? They're adorable! Do it. Buy the bike. You know you want to. Everyone's doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, you didn't flip flop. I don't know what Rachel wants. She might just want one because I wanted her to have one so we could ride together. I suspect she hates bikes after watching her "ride" one into the "employees only" door.

    Fella, what is your current position on the bike so I can take the opposite stance?

    Nitsy (Nicks?), Its hard to find good temps. I looked. I found a good one one time with Camilla at the DI but this hippie latched onto it first and we followed him around the store but her would not release it.

    Camilla, you aren't doing it. I love the old fashioned looking ones. I wanted to get Rachie a nice old timey looking Schwinn at Target but she said it was over our original $100 limit (sad face).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is me.

    http://comics.com/f_minus/2005-10-28/

    ReplyDelete