Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Satan Clause

So Rachel's mom recently figured out I had a sense of humor. That's a relief. Maybe now she will forgive me for desecrating her childhood memories of Santa. This was the first time meeting Rachel's family. You know what they say about second impressions: nothing because who cares about them. First impressions are ingrained in people's memories forever. People care. I am much more opened minded than that: I judge everyone as harshly every time as the first time I meet them. Anyway, first impressions are the official judging phase of introductions.

So everyone encircled around me and the inquisition began. Somehow we were talking about Santa (did I mention this was the weekend after Thanksgiving?). Rachel's mom just loves Santa to death. For some gosh awful reason I thought it would be funny to point out that Satan is an anagram for Santa. Pretty cool huh? No not cool.

She goes on to calmly explain why she thinks it's OK to like Santa and why she doesn't feel he is evil. I just sit there not trying to make it worse by pointing out that I was just being "funny." Just another reason why I need practice being funny.

5 comments:

  1. Apparently nobody's parents get you. Your dad and Rachel's mom should hang out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scratch that. My dad likes you just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember, you never get a first chance to make a second impression. Or something like that.

    Fortunately, I think she's come around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camilla, tell your dad only cool parents gets me.

    How many third chances do I get, Rachel?

    ReplyDelete
  5. she actually likes you a lot. or at least she does now. they just take every opportunity ever to "teach" us stuff. she doesn't get my sense of humor sometimes either

    ReplyDelete