Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Nicholson in the Hotel Room with the “Overdose”

OK I know the Dark Knight is old news and Batman from 1989, which I vaguely remember loving immensely as a kid when it came out, is really old news. Also 1989 was the year my wife was born. Does that make me creepy or her? Anyway but I really still think Jack Nicholson did a pretty bang up job in that movie. "Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?" Good line. "This town needs an enema!" Great line. Keaton even does a pretty decent job as the Batman. But we all know that the punk kid from 10 Things I hate about You, Heath Ledger, stole the show in the Dark Knight. He got all tripped up playing the role and accidently killed himself. So of course he won the Oscar, which I guess he deserved (he did do a pretty amazing job).

But why do I feel so bad for Jack Nicholson? Like he is getting snubbed by all this? It still bothers me to this day. Like the only thing I got out of this movie after watching it was wow, that was the most perfect Joker ever. Poor Jack Nicholson. Does Jack even care that the dead gay cowboy from Broken Back Mountain stole his thunder? Probably not. He's Jack freaking Nicholson. I would like to see (if her were alive) Ledger play the crazy hotel caretaker from the Shining. Actually he might be able to pull it off. Anyway well whatever, Jack Nicholson does his thing and Ledger did his, right? So should I worry about being bottom hurt on Jack's behalf? Of course not. Will that stop me from feeling bad for the guy? Not a chance in heck.

Correction: I just did some research and found this interview from groundbreaking news organization MTV. I did further research and the M in MTV used to stand for Music. It now stands for Mutton. Jack was furious that he didn't get the Joker part. Wasn't he kind of old for that anyway?

MTV: What do you think of another actor, Heath Ledger, playing the Joker in next summer's "The Dark Knight"?

Nicholson: Let me be the way I'm not in interviews. I'm furious. I'm furious. [He laughs.] They never asked me about a sequel with the Joker. I know how to do that! Nobody ever asked me.

MTV: It was never brought up?

Nicholson: No. It's like, in any area, you can't believe the reasons things do or don't happen. Not asking me how to do the sequel is that kind of thing. Maybe it's not a mistake. Maybe it was the right thing, but to be candid, I'm furious.

MTV: I'm surprised to hear you sounding competitive about a role like that.

Nicholson: Well, the Joker comes from my childhood. That's how I got involved with it in the first place. It's a part I always thought I should play.

MTV: Will you see the new film?

Nicholson: I'm not inclined to watch it because of what I said. But if it's a good movie, I'll catch up with it somewhere. I don't think they ever really captured Tim Burton's spirit [since he stopped being involved]. They kind of drove the franchise into the ground. Tim Burton's a genius. He had the right take on it. That's why I did the movie. I did the movie based on a single conversation with him. We both come from the cartoon world originally. We had similar ideas. Tim said [the Joker] should have a humorous dark side to him. [Burton is] one of the great moviemakers. I think the world of him. He's the most unassuming man. And he doesn't feel pressure. That's what I love about him. Once he's in there, he's smiling making the movie. That's it!

Also Jack "warned" Heath about doing the Joker role. Mmmmmmurder! It was Colonel Nicholson in the hotel room with the poison!

Also after reading his whining on his own behalf, I don't feel bad for Nicholson anymore. I hope he doesn't warn me for saying that.

6 comments:

  1. Interesting. Everyone feels for the silently suffering underdog. Once the underdog starts whinging, sympathy evaporates.

    And Nicholson's response to finding out Ledger was dead is unnerving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholson has no right to be furious--he doesn't own the Joker. They both did a great job and that's where it ends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel. You're response to my marriage proposal was unnerving. I warned you.

    Camilla, I also really liked the Joker from the old campy 60s Batman. He was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Camilla is right for a change. Two totally different Batman movies, with totally different takes on the Joker.
    I heard some quote once relating to both roles and I really think it nailed it.
    With Nicholson, you could tell he was having fun with the role, and with Ledger he was the Joker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the Dark Knight is more believable but Batman was really like the first realistic comic book movie so the new movies kind of are standing on Burton/Nicholson's shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I want to know rachel's reponse to the marriage proposal...

    ReplyDelete