Thursday, June 3, 2010

Prejudice Can Be a Real Time Saver OR Not a Fan of the Fan Fiction

So I had a dream about Serenity. I thought maybe I could turn it into a short story.

My story involved a big husky robot controlled by a tiny girl. The episode would be called "Dues Ex Machina." The plot would revolve around the girl striking a deal with Mal to let her pull a few jobs with them so she could make a name for herself. Maybe the machine goes haywire and River puts it down or something. Maybe the girl double crosses them. I don't know. But at some point Mal says the phrase dues ex machine and Jayne says something crude like, "captain, speaking from personal experience, I don't think this thing would make a very good sex machine." Awful right? But so Jayne.

Basically I woke up and thought I could turn my dream into fan fiction. I must have been drowsy still.

Fact: fan fiction sucks.

I was pretty confident the Firefly fan fiction would be extra bad (since the show is cancelled and the browncoats are crazy into it). But before prejudging the "quality" of said fan fiction which I assumed would be atrocious, I decided I would peruse it myself.

Have you seen this poop? George Lucas can write better. Actually maybe not better per se but close enough. If you have seen "Firefly" or Serenity you would know that River and Jayne would never get married and have kids. What. The. Beep. There's a lot of dumb feces like that in there. In summary: not a fan of the fan fiction.

I learned my lesson about prejudging: prejudice can be a real time saver.

5 comments:

  1. Have you read other fanfiction? Twilight is good if you want to be disgusted. In Psych Lassie and Shawn are always getting together romantically. Aragorn and Legolas make in nice couple in LOTR fanfic. It's a scary world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lassie and Shawn?? Enemy rivalry does always equal sexual tension, people! Sometimes it's just rivalry! Oh, what a world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But everyone saw that Legolas/Aragorn thing coming.

    ...just kidding. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crap, I meant enemy rivalry does NOT equal sexual tension. Dang it, emphasis ruined. Plus I caught it too late. Blah. I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's OK. No one reads these comments but me and Rachel. Maybe Josh if he's real bored.

    ReplyDelete