Monday, June 28, 2010

Delivery “People”

So today was the big day. Our second piece of furniture arrived. Well, fifth if you count bookcases and an ottoman. Anyway I had to work at bed today in order to be here when it arrived. It was supposed to be here between 10 and 11. Apparently 11:30 is between then. They probably meant between 10am and 11pm.

So a lady called to confirm the appointment at 10:30. The stupid phone never gets reception down in the basement so I got the message and called her back at 10:45. The message confirmed the wrong address. It also mumbled something about ". . .of course. . .drop off but not [move or carry or something?]." She didn't mention this when I called her back. She did mention that I needed to pay them in cash. She said they'd be there within 15 minutes. Within 15 minutes after what exactly?

I ran to Chevron to get cash and bought an Almond Joy for $1.29?! Only to find out they don't do cash back. I ran to Smiths and bought gum. I got 3 twenties before realizing the movers and shakers probably wouldn't carry change (to get a big tip) and weren't getting a tip from me. So I bought a Coke to break up a twenty. Barely made it back within 15 minutes, as if it mattered.

So I tricked a friend into coming over to my place before going to lunch. When the delivery "truck" showed up (a tiny SUV with a dinky trailer), an old lady and some little kid were the delivery personnel. Luckily my unsuspecting friend showed up in time to help me move the couch into my place. It was tough. I can't believe we got it in. I also can't believe my face isn't permanently shattered after being repeatedly crushed by it.

Did I mention the moving people were an old lady and some kid (probably her great-grandson)? Did I also mention one of the reasons we paid to have it delivered was because I recently injured my back. . .

2 comments:

  1. Yeah. Remember when our couch was such a great deal? Until we payed $50 for nothing?

    ReplyDelete