Monday, June 14, 2010

Ice Cream Socially Awkward

So I didn't get a WHOLE lot of sleep last week. I had to get up at 6:03am every day so Rachel can be a super spy or whatever she does and can't divulge, under penalty of death. And I know I can't fall asleep before 1am. That is why the following happened.

Anyway so at my work's ice cream social, the department is sitting around a large conference room. Our boss' boss comes in and goes around asking everyone what they're having while everyone says funny one-liners. She gets to me, "oh looks like Jonathan's finished his." Haha good one. Yeah I'm fat and scarfed it down lickety-split. Then she asked one of my coworkers across the room what she had. Her reply was "I just have toppings." Someone says something funny about it. I am in some kind of zombie daze from lack of sleep.

For some reason the next thought I had skipped the internal dialogue portion and leapt right out of my mouth loud enough for the whole room to hear. "You forgot the bottoms!" then I thought a second, or bottomings? Wait that's no good. Why did I just say that!

Total silence for like three to five seconds. I literally covered my face in shame. Then normal conversation broke out in groups while the other editors began laughing at my humiliation with fiendish delight while I wished the windows of the 8th floor conference room could open so I could take a mercy leap into the welcoming sidewalk below. I swear I would have taken a nose dive right through that glass if I hadn't been absolutely sure it would have ended with me embarrassingly bouncing off it.

1 comment: