Monday, July 12, 2010

Cool Button Issues

I was reading an article about Prop 8 and the Mormons involvement (as if anyone else was involved!). Anyway, so people are crazy. At least their comments lead me to believe they have no sense and an itchy exclamation trigger finger. I don't want to get too much into that pit of despair, but I am always surprised by how infuriating reading comments to the articles are.

If you ever want to get riled up about something that you didn't know you wanted to get riled up about, try reading the comments on any, yes ANY, article on the Internet.

I went back to another article that was pointed out to me as particularly "mind blowing" about a crazy scientist who thinks gravity is not a fundamental force. Pure insanity! Here is one of my favorite comments:

"Another Idiot trying to prove that there is no gravity! Only in America. Only in America Kids!!"

Whoa calm down pops. I ain't a kid. And nobody is trying to steal your gravity, crazy. Only in America you mean, if by America, you mean the Netherlands, where Professor Verlinde is from and where the University of Amsterdam is. America—Amsterdam, close enough (also he was in France at the time). And I am sure he became a professor because of his crackpot hallucinations or whatever (must be the special Dutch brownies).

I am sure if there is an issue about anything, there are two angry sides to it. You may think you are level headed and unemotional as you read about why milk is yummy or why the earth has a cold chocolate center. But as soon as you start reading reader comments, the heat rises, at least for me it does.

Any button issue (huh?) can become a hot button issue with a few exclamation points and a lot of unresearched assumptions.

I can't wait to read the comments on this blog post (i.e., you are a total moron who knows nothing about comments!). I think we should just try and keep our button issues cool for now.

One more for the road:

"It must be nice to be a physicist. Not only do you have all the time in the world to think and get paid for it, but you are proclaimed a genius even though nobody understands a word you say!"

3 comments:

  1. what's up with you and all these assumptions that the people who wrote the comments aren't level headed? duh! maybe he has actually researched it a lot more than you! why are you writing a blog on this? have you been eating special Dutch brownies again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These comments kind of hurt my feelings. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's ok. I'm accepting of you and your blog posts. I love your blog posts! they're the best!

    ReplyDelete