Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Beer and an Emergency Exit

If my Facebook status was updated with something other than what my father would call idiotic gibberish, it might read "Jonathan Joseph Reddoch needs a beer and an emergency exit."

As you can obviously tell from my post title, I am disgruntled about work issues and like an angry male stewardess I need some precious public ventilation. If you don't know what relevance beer and an emergency exit has to do with job dissatisfaction, please review the news then come back. Go ahead; I'll wait.

Yeah so I didn't get the job I applied for. You wouldn't think I would mind so much since I had mixed feelings about even applying partly because I really like my current job as editor (I really do despite disgruntled grumblings). But I know I was super qualified for the job: in fact the new position requires less training and education than my current job (even though it pays more).

It's like a college professor being turned down for a high school teaching position. But I guess it just feels like I have no future [here?] now.

So about that beer. Just kidding, I don't drink the alchy. But if I did I would grab a rum and Pepsi on my 8 story slide down the woogie building (when you reach the top there's only one direction to go).

But I guess I shouldn't abandon my [lack of] career just yet. I am sure there is a reason I shouldn't pull that emergency exit handle. I know it's not the amazing benefits (stupid insurance denied my doctor requested x-ray that I don't even remember taking and sent me a bill for the full $300+ but at least the insurance company had the courtesy to tell me kindly over the phone that this would keep happening until I finally take a hint and drop literally dead).

Maybe it's the bad economy. Or I am too lazy to look for a new job.

Maybe it's the 7 years in jail I don't want for causing public mischief. Maybe it's because I like my job. Maybe it's because there isn't a slide down the woogoo building. It would be a fun ride though, right?

Maybe I should wait around another 28 years with a wait and see attitude. That worked out well for Jim Henson.

Actually a coworker just notified me of a massive amount of Famous Dave's leftovers. Even though I accidently smothered my ribs and chicken wings with what I thought was BBQ sauce (it was chocolate sauce) I feel somehow comforted by this food. Please disavow the above whining. Emergency averted. I'll just shut up and go back to work now. Facebook status has been updated to "Jonathan Joseph Reddoch learned the hard way not to flood chicken and ribs with chocolate sauce."

10 comments:

  1. Meh. I found out today that the German speaking job I kept telling my supervisor I was interested in - the one they told me to apply for, and said they knew I was interested in - is going to be filled by someone else. Apparently, first of all they need to make sure I speak good German. I said, I know I do - all my professors and all the people I spoke with in Germany told me as much. I speak it fluently. Then I was told it needs to be a woman. I asked if it's only one person, because I was told it's going to be two. And then I was told they're already planning on hiring someone from Germany. You suck, work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I know what you mean about feeling like there's no future where you work. I was thinking, this move, which I am super qualified for, as well as being trained for (which takes approximately 8-15 months) would give me added responsibility, as well as a raise. Apparently not. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did your boss tell you ways that you could get the job next time it's open, ways that are impossible like by attending non-existant meetings?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. I did get a "We're going to hire someone else in October, but there's always a chance sometime in the future". I assume this means, sometime in the future when the German leaves to go to a better job and no other German wants to come work here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. But could I apply for that job you didn't get? Getting it over you would make me feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I learned the easy way not to flood my ribs and chicken with chocolate sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please. I am the master of job rejections. You just need to smother all your food in chocolate for a few days, ignore the bathroom scale, refuse to cry, and you'll be fine. You get over it in a few weeks.

    Unless it was a job you really, really wanted. Those hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Josh, I certainly hope they would never hire an hispanic for an english speaking position.

    Camilla, it was a stepping stone. I was hoping for a career.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually don't comment on grammatical errors or misspellings, but I couldn't resist...
    It's ironic (or just funny) that while saying you were over qualified for the job, and being an editor, you used the word 'that' instead of 'than.'
    "in fact the new position requires less training and education that my current job..."

    Are you really over qualified?

    ReplyDelete
  10. The new job requires no actual knoweledge of editing. You could argue that because I let something slip through that I am qualified for the new position but not my current one.

    Of course that is like saying that a mathematician should never make a miscalculation.

    ReplyDelete