Monday, August 16, 2010

The Blog of the Flies

OK so we recently bought our first BBQ and grilled some steaks. Yum. The door was open during this because I was going in and out a lot. Thanks to the good fortune of having our front door sharing a close proximity to our outside trash can (not our choice) we have a few flies I guess buzzing around. So two must have made their way in and had a shotgun wedding and a shotgun honeymoon. Because we kept getting flies after that and we couldn't tell from whence.

This past weekend I killed about 10 in mighty fashion, thinking I had killed them all. But more appeared. It was a spontaneous generation!

Finally after they kept appearing and I kept slaying, and Rachel kept freaking out every time one neared her, we discovered their lair.

Apparently the two sacks of potatoes that we got for 89 cents apiece forever ago, was their version of Primary. There were hundreds of maggots growing in these spuds. Looks like 89 cents bought us more than we were bargaining for. Good thing we found them when we did or the house would be swarming with them and Rachel would have jumped out the window in despair. So I grabbed those potato sacks and shouted listen here maggots, you are gross. Now die! Actually I made almost-throwing-up sounds but that's what I would have said if I wasn't about to spill my beans (we had Mexican food for dinner).

Rachel is always freaked out by bugs. Spiders and monster bugs I can see. But she freaks out big time when a fly is near her, and screams murder when one lands on her. I recorded her reaction to some imaginary flies I made up because I didn't want to wait around 'til one encroached on her personal bubble. This is what I got to deal with all weekend.

I hope you enjoy the film; it took a fly's lifetime to upload. I would recommend muting it first because YouTube pooped up the sound. Too bad. But I say "there's a fly!" and then "it's right there!" and finally "it's on your butt!" She didn't believe me that last time.

4 comments:

  1. Flies are not OK. Freaking out is a normal reaction to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Youtube thing was awesome. I've totally seen you do that, Rachel, so I know it's for real. Funny, but you handled that bird incident in St Ives waaaay better than you handled the imaginary fly. To each their own fears, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny as that Youtube video is (and it's hilarious - I view it at least once a day) I'm still bored. Do a new blog post!

    ReplyDelete