Thursday, September 30, 2010

Cooly Cool, Boy

So I have never actually seen West Side Story before except for a couple scenes and some songs from my humanities class a long, long time ago (I can still remember). So I was watching some scenes on YouTube, and wow. Like for real. Wow. Is this shiz for real? Like for really real reals? Not for fakes? Yeah they aren't kidding with this. The film is actually about two gangs (I assume who are gay?) literally prancing and dancing and singing.

I knew it was a musical. I knew it was based on Romeo y Juliet. I knew it was about "gangs." I've seen the Gap commercial (while you're checking that out, check out this and this and of course this one with dancing robots in denim). Those take me back. Still that and this Scrubs episode didn't quite prepare me.

I am more than willing to suspend my disbelief a great deal. I can accept talking cars. I am cool with singing vultures. I will even believe an elephant can fly. But I 'ave seen just about everything when I see a bunch of gangbangers sing and dance in harmony.

There is something extra unbelievable about this whole escapade. The Jets? The Sharks? Keep it cooly cool, boy? Something ain't right here. I don't buy it. Heck I don't even borrow it. I might barrow it though (as in wheel barrow it away not like the castrated hog).Yet I did pick up some good advice from this documentary-esque crime drama:

"Every Puerto Rican is a lousy chicken." Those are the worst kind!

"Our mothers all are junkies. Our fathers all are drunks. Golly Moses, naturally we're punks." So it is nurture after all. Nature loses again.

"Life is all right in America; if you're all white in America." So true. G bless it.

"I feel pretty and witty and gay." Surprisingly not sung by the Jets.

Anyway so if I want to live through this lousy life, I better start playing it cooly cool, boy (or girl). So I'll get right on that. Crazy! Cool. . .

1 comment:

  1. I'm thinking Netflix. Because I've never seen it either.

    ReplyDelete