Monday, September 27, 2010

Feeling a ‘Lil Bloggy: The Blog

When I was a wee lad in the merry old 80s, whenever a movie was made that was part of a larger franchise, they always added the obligatory "the movie" at the end. The Transformers: The Movie. Jetsons: The Movie. This was not just cartoons. E.g., Twilight Zone: The Movie. Santa Clause: The Movie (not to be confused with Santa Clause: the Guy). There might be more but these were the films I remember.

Along similar lines but more how you say (prestigious? No pretentious) Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I bet it was Shatner's idea to go with "the motion picture." Other variations include the something-something movie, which we still see a little bit of. E.g., the Growing Pains Movie (TV movie), the Tigger Movie, A Very Brady Movie.

So anyway, I am not sure where this blog is headed. I guess I was just thinking about how dumb it is to call out the fact that a movie is a movie. Maybe that's why they don't do it anymore. People are really starting to get the hang of this movie thing.

But I suppose books have been doing this for thousands of years. The Book of the Dead. The Bible (books). The Book of Mormon. The Blue Book. Book 'em Danno. OK fine. Call your movie a movie in its title. See if I care.

I guess it just sounds funny to call it something: the movie all dramatic like. Other forms of media like songs or whatnot don't take that form. Time: the Magazine. Vietnam: the War. Rhode Island: the State. Jonathan: the Idiot.

4 comments:

  1. I've always thought it was dumb, also. "Room: A Novel", "Spider Bones: A Novel", "Our Kind of Traitor: A Novel". I always thought it was so people wouldn't be confused. Is this a novel (movie) or a documentary? What kind of entertainment is this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny and silly sounding but I guess people don't want Spider Bones: A Reference Book or Room: A Decorator's Guide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be called Kristina: The Crazy Commissar. Not just the Crazy, not just the Commissar, but all together: The Crazy Commissar. and then to match my name they could all start with K! oh wait, that would be the KKK. never mind! they can start with C

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think a colon is necessary. You can just be an awesome name: Jonathan the Idiot.

    ReplyDelete