Sunday, December 12, 2010

To Mr. T with Love

You might want to skip this one. It could be long and boring. Basically it is about a guy who hates BYU for no good reason and my response to that unwarranted hatering.

Original Facebook post by innocent J-Bones:

So
I spoke with an old lady today who was commenting on what I nice young man I
was. Then she said, "You are a young man, aren't you?" I replied, "Yes, I am
pretty young. I'm actually a student at the University of Utah." "Ohh... Well,
you don't lose your testimony, y'hear?" 100% sincere.

Comment by T: And because of comments like that, no one likes BYU!

Giggly Puff: T it's sad how your hatred for the entire university is based on a few comments that don't represent the school or the majority of its students. Max Hall did that once, and he made a fool of himself.

T: Giggly Puff, The only thing is, this is by FAR not the only time I have heard comments like this....

Besides: Independent means nobody likes you! Haha

Giggly Puff: That's why I said a few comments, not one. I've been at BYU for three years and have never met someone here who really feels that way. It's kinda like when you meet a bunch of Mormons who won't let their kids play with yours, so you think all Mormons are the same way.

Me: T, I didn't know the word "everyone" meant only U students. Better let Webster's know. Don't be so independent.

T: I can count at least 5 other schools that dislike BYU and would prefer to see them to lose in any situation to any opponent

Me: They teach you to count that high at the U huh? You must be in their Masters of Mathematics program.

T: I don't go to the U, buddy.......

That's the amount of research skills they teach you at BYU, huh? [Ouch. That's a good one. T straight up foolerized me. No sarcmark.]

Me: So you just hate BYU and wanted to share your prejudice with the world? I think you deserve an honorary D-gree for that.

Guess what the D stands for.

T: haha! I hate BYU!

Sorry, I think that was an understatement on my part.

My final response is too long for Facebook but here it is anyway for all to enjoy.

To T (the troll who out-trolled me),

You are right about two things. 1 I should do my research, which I have now done 2 I did assume you were a University of Utah student. But why did I make that assumption? Here is the result of the research you requested.

First J-Bones posted a status about a quaint old lady (maybe from Provo for all we know). Secondly she advises him not to lose his testimony at the U. Now, where does BYU come in? It doesn't at all. You brought it up by yelling (yes yelling) that everyone hates BYU because of what this old lady said (or what she represents).

Not losing your testimony is good advice for any Latter-day saint going to college, especially one known for having a "party" side. Any school, yes even BYU as unlikely as it is to face peer pressure of this sort, could be a challenge to a strong testimony.

But I can see why that advice can presume that the U is a bunch of smashed-up sexifying soothsayers. So I agree it was probably not cool to say what she said (but funny). Still, what does that have to do with BYU? Does said old lady represent BYU? Is she BYU? No but you treat her words as if they come from BYU. What a splendid opportunity to spread your hatred against what you have previously derogatorily called "The Lord's University." I wonder do you have such disdain for "The Lord's Magazine" or "the Lord's Shopping Mall and Radio Station"? I would be careful about mocking the Lord's anything. Don't lose your testimony by hating the Lord's tithing-funded institutions.

Now by attributing the old gal's advice to BYU through your implication, you are inserting yourself in the middle of a made-up (by you) BYU/Utah rivalry thing. Now why would you do that if you don't go to the U? Well you obviously have a chip on your shoulder about something. Let's examine that closer.

Are we to believe that you just happen to hate BYU on behalf of the University of Utah? I'm not buying that. There must be a logical reason why you would have such strong feelings in something that shouldn't involve you at all.

My theory is that you have some sort of envy. Maybe you have Cougar Envy because you didn't have the grades to get into the Y. That would explain the uncharacteristic Utah State contempt toward Cougar Town (I have never experienced any anti-BYU scorn from Utah State before) though you have found a way to project your feelings onto your entire school.

Maybe you have Utah envy. Utah is a great school on par with BYU and if you couldn't make it in there, maybe you thought you would still participate in the BYU/Utah rivalry as if you did get in.

So you go to Utah State. It's not a bad school and I don't see anything wrong with going there. Still it's an easy target and you asked for it so I am going to smash your glass house. BYU and Utah are better schools than Utah State. Period. But cheer up buckaroo, you're still getting a solid education from a good school.

You might just have rivalry envy. BYU and Utah have each other. I think you really want to have a rivalry with someone too. Rivalries are fun and give you someone to razz. You NEED a rivalry. So you interject yourself into one with BYU. You won the Old Wagon Wheel for the first time in like what, 10 years. Doesn't that make you happy? Probably not because no one at BYU cares about any rivalry with Utah State, even if they know one is supposed to exist. From your Facebook note where you urge all of Utah State to chant "cowards!" at the BYU basketball team because the coach didn't take Utah State seriously enough for you, it sounds like you're just butt hurt and bitter. I guess this blog won't help and nothing is going cure that sore bottom of yours. But prayer. Prayer could help you learn to love.

Incidentally if you hate any school, as an Aggie I would expect it to be the University of Utah since they had previously purposefully stifled USU's expansion beyond agricultural study.

Also I know what your response will be. You'll call me condescending for pointing out that Utah State is not on the same level with Brigham Young and the U (not that it really matters since it will be soon at the rate it is improving), but you are still required to love everyone to get into heaven. We can wait as long as it takes.

-Me

P.S.

Dear Utah State,

I still love you and sorry for calling you inferior. Hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment