Saturday, December 11, 2010

Recipe for the Antonym of Disaster

So for my team potluck this week that I was inspecting, I signed up to bring diced onions. I was assured by the logistical communications person (let's call her Margarita to protect her identity) that three onions not one nor two was enough. Three was enough. Enough times 10. So yeah the top on one of the onion containers wasn't on straight and everything had onion juices on it all day including my desk, the car, and our oniony smelling home.

Oh and I had a bijillion left over onion dices. They were onion stanking up our fridge and something had to be done. We couldn't give them away (I tried that). I couldn't sell them (not allowed on eBay). I couldn't throw them away (not with all those starving Chinese). I had to cook them.

So I invented a new recipe that called for lots 'o onions. I call it Jonathan J's Surprisingly Delicious Twice-Cooked-Onion Chicken, or Onion Chicken for short. Anyway I couldn't believe how amazing it tasted. It was so freaking good!

Here is the recipe as I recall (some of these things might not be necessary).

2-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

1 cup diced onion

Itty bitty amount of:

Lemon juice

Salt and pepper

Distilled white vinegar

Italian seasoning


 

Preheat oven 375 degrees. Dice up onions. Cook them in a frying pan while adding salt and pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, and Italian seasoning. Once the onion stink is gone, smear most of the onion cookings in the bottom of a glass pan. Place the chicken pieces on top. Drop the rest of the onion mix on top with juice over the chicken for moistness sake. Place in the over for 1 hour. Then eat. Yum.

4 comments:

  1. I still like un-onion onion chicken. And just for another witness, it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the feeling this Margarita character is the same person as Margarine. This is becoming too confusing to keep track of them all. (Jaykay. I could not stop laughing when I read the beginning.)

    For the record, I had no idea that everyone decided to be anorexic that day! I planned for 13 pounds of meat (beef, chicken, and turkey), and I still thought that wasn't enough. Apparently some days the potlucks involve ravenous gluttons while others include emaciated pigeons, because usually that is never enough.

    Next time, I am giving you the 4 pounds of leftover meat I had at the end of the day. Maybe you can have a new recipe every potluck involving the unused items! Ha ha! I'm just doing my logistical job. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does sound tasty. Onions are so great when used properly. Nothing better than a huge hot dog covered in diced onions and mustards and...I'm hungry now

    ReplyDelete
  4. now I want a bloomin' onion from Outback...

    ReplyDelete