Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Stupid Younglings

[Note: this blog was written on October 17th but never published for some reason]

So Rachel asked me to write a blog today. Most of my blogs are embarrassing stories or complaints about this or that. Nothing embarrassing has happened yet today. I did beat Rachel at croquet three times in a row (she smells at croquet!). But I was just thinking about what a terribly negative person I am. Mostly I am aware of this fact from my wonderful family who rather ironically is always sure to remind me of this severe character fault.

I can blame my English professors, who taught me to think critically. I can also blame my editing professors for teaching me to find mistakes. I can blame my philosophy teachers for teaching me to be skeptical. Or my political science teachers for showing me the merits of anti-authoritarian attitudes.

But I came to college pre-negativitized.

I could have just been born this way.

Actually it probably stems from chemical reactions that make me think negatively (chemicals don't know nothing from nohow). My chemicals are all half empty!

Speaking of half emptiness—no discussion of negativity would be complete without the ol' cliché—some people look at a glass and say, "it's half full." Others say, "it's half empty." I look at a glass and say, "stupid glass, I hate you."

Maybe I am negative. But so what? Negativity has its positives. It can save lives.

Remember the first Death Star. That dude that Vader strangled had a very positive attitude about the ultimate power of the Death Star. He refused to see any flaw in it. Then look at what happened. Someone who was probably labeled a Negative Nancy by the Empire (someone who failed to see the bright side of absolute tyranny) found a weakness and exploited the begebus out of it. So take a lesson from Darth Vader (AKA Mr. Negative himself) and don't be too proud of your own technological marvel (this is a metaphor).

But don't be too negative either, like teenager Anakin because that's how younglings die. Stupid younglings.

1 comment:

  1. You're so negative you probably think this blog is about you.

    ReplyDelete