Friday, October 15, 2010

Near the Ball


So Rachel blogged about procrastination. [Insert joke here about writing blog later or in some way procrastinating. I'll do it later. Hahaha]. Anyway, yeah procrastination is indeed the best way to go.


So here am I. I have been going to college for over a decade now. That's a long time. And when you've been going this long, it's easy to say, "hey, what's thirteen more semesters?"


Why the frig did it take so long? And why the frig aren't I done yet? What's a frig? [Answer: a cross between a fig and a frog].


Well there are a lot of reasons. I mostly paid my own way through school with cash. I worked full time, schooled part time. So there's that. Also I technically started college before high school (I have a bunch of swimming and weightlifting and swimnastics [don't ask, don't tell] classes that used to count for PE credits until they dropped that requirement).


Also I didn't know what I wanted to do when I started so I made a goal to take every intro level course available. I took intro to sociology, into to psychology, intro to philosophy, intro to government, intro to anthropology, etc. I stopped short of intro to cattle prodding theatrics and intro to underwater plant microeconomics.


Anyway, so now I got my last two classes to finish up. I got my German 202 class: the trick is ignoring the fact that I can't speak a lick o' Deutsch long enough to sneak in a C. Also I received an incomplete on my English major senior course capstone last fall. That gives me a year to complete it, thought my professor urged me not to put it off. I just have to turn in my research paper on Otello.


Ten months later and I got 12 pages of gibberish. At this rate I should graduate in a mere 23 months. No, seriously though, I need to get on or at least very near the ball.


The only way I can finish this assignment is if I feel a dramatic sense of urgency. I felt that before when I wrote the first 10 pages but then realized I had more time. I need to trick my brain into thinking I am in the 11th hour with 30 seconds on the clock in sudden death overtime, blitztkrieg and rain falling on the arc. Or I can just wait until the literal last minute.


I hope those mixed metaphors sum it up. Anyway, I have some other things that need to get done right now! No I guess I can do them later.

2 comments:

  1. You have 1:21 to disable the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's awesome. 12 pages is more than I wrote on my final history paper. Still have an incomplete. Let's see, that was...yup. Fall 2008. Good year.

    ReplyDelete