Friday, January 25, 2013

Teddy Bears and Lens Flares


So J J Abrams is going to be directing the next Star Wars. Though it will obviously be warp speed ahead of the prequels, I am excited and also slightly cautious. I mean, I have been burned by Star Wars in the past.
You probably know J J is known for doing Star Trek. He’s known for Star Trek and lens flares (so many lens flares). Seriously, we have this amazing technology and he uses it to artificially create a problem that shouldn’t exist. Otherwise he did a great job. I say great job because the original pre-JJ Star Trek was boring and completely asinine. And beyond cheesy.  JJ made it cool and that works as long as you aren’t attached to the old stuff.

The exact thing I loved about the new Star Trek is exactly what worries me about the possibility of a JJ Star Wars. Imagine if JJ gives Star Wars the same Star Trek treatment. First, an old Han Solo goes back in time while a rogue Imperial Super Death Star+ kills a young Anakin Skywalker. Luke grows up and somehow ends up being space wizard anyway. Meanwhile Tatooine gets blown to bits and Han is mad because Chewie was still there so Luke gets Corellian neck pinched and sent to Hoth where he meets old Han. You get the idea.

Since JJ rewrote the entire history of Star Trek, maybe he is the one man who can turn the prequels into a tabula rasa.
Anyway, yeah, it can’t possibly be worse than the prequels. And creepy Ewok blinks. I’ll take lens flares over teddy bear blinks any day.

I wanted to conclude with a video of Wicket W. Warrick blinking (yes Ewoks inexplicably have middle names). In lieu of that weirdness enjoys this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I

No comments:

Post a Comment